Online Flower Shop
Sign up for our Enewsletter

Toxic House Plants

Many common house plants are poisonous if accidentally ingested. The following are plants that are toxic to humans and pets to varying degrees if ingested whole or in part (leaves, stems, roots or bulbs). Avoid these plants if you have young children or pets:

  • Aloe Vera (Aloe barbadensis, Burn Plant)
  • Amaryllis
  • Angel’s Trumpet (Datura innoxia)
  • Angel’s Wings (Caladium hortulanum)
  • Anthurium (Anthurim adraeanum, Flamingo Lily)
  • Azalea (Rhododendron)
  • Bird of Paradise
  • Chrysanthemum (Mums, Chrysanthemum indicum)
  • Clivia (Clivia miniata, Kaffir Lily)
  • Croton (Codiaeum variegatum)
  • Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii)
  • Cyclamen (Cyclamen persicum)
  • Daffodil
  • Dumb Cane (Dieffenbachia)
  • Elephant Ears
  • English Holly
  • English Ivy (Hedera helix)
  • Fig (Creeping fig, Weeping fig)
  • Hydrangea (Hydrangea macrophylla)
  • Jerusalem Cherry (Solanum pseudocapsicum)
  • Kalanchoe (Kalanchoe daigremontiana, Devil’s Backbone)
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Mistletoe
  • Monstera (Monstera deliciosa, Ceriman, Swiss Cheese Plant)
  • Neththyis (Arrowhead vine)
  • Philodendron
  • Poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima)
  • Pothos
  • Umbrella plant (Schefflera)

For a comprehensive list of plants poisonous to humans see Cornell University’s poisonous plant database.

Tip: Don’t eat it!


For more information please call the store at 519-426-3190 or drop by and see us at 652 Norfolk St. S., Simcoe, ON. Our email is: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .
Garden Products and Plants